Collagen vs Elastin

Collagen vs Elastin

When it comes to wrinkles, different parts of our skin are responsible for different effects. Two of the major proteins in our skin are called collagen and elastin. However, how exactly do they differ, and what is each responsible for? Finding out the difference between collagen vs elastin can help you figure out which protein you need to be getting more of.


As we’ve discussed before, collagen is the most abundant protein in the skin, as well as the entire body. It makes up 80% of the skin, leaving elastin and other elements the remainder of the 20%. The main role of collagen is to provide strength and structure- and not only to the skin- but to our bones, muscles, and tissue as well. It’s important and essential for the body, but as we age, we lose our collagen levels. This is all due to natural aging processes, but it makes our skin weaker which results in wrinkles. This is why many products, like our popular Dragon's Blood Sculpting Gel, contains collagen boosting properties so that your skin is able to restore its levels and continue providing collagen all throughout the body.


It sounds just like collagen and is also a protein found in the skin, but elastin has different properties than collagen. Elastin is found in the deepest part of the skin, known as the dermis, and has the special role of giving our skin the ability to stretch while coming back into place properly. This is something that we lose as we age- the skin becomes saggy and loses its function of elasticity. Elastin is not as emphasized in skincare as much as collagen is, and even products that claim to have it may not make a big difference in the appearance or feel of your skin.

Sliced of Citrus Lemons

Collagen vs Elastin

So, we’ve learned about collagen and its properties as well as elastin and its functions, but is there a clear difference between the two? They both play a crucial role in skincare and the texture and healthiness of the skin, but collagen is still different from elastin. Collagen focuses mainly on the structure of skin and prevention of wrinkles, whereas elastin’s main focus is the elasticity of the skin. Collagen can make your skin lose smoothness, whereas elastin can cause your skin to lose its plumpness. They both go hand in hand and make the skin function very well when together, but you can usually tell the difference if you’re missing collagen or elastin.


Collagen and elastin are two essential parts of the skin. They’re both proteins and make up the skin’s appearance. While collagen is much more abundant and offers the skin many benefits, elastin is still crucial to have to keep your skin elastic and plump. If you’re missing collagen, there are many products out there that can help you regain your collagen levels. However, if you’re missing elastin, things may not be as easy to bring it back. At the end of the day, both collagen and elastin are important for your skin and youthfulness.

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.